Thursday, October 29, 2009

Week 1 Summary: Getting the feel for things


I'll never forget arriving at the Ensenada base. I had been here before (this past summer for mission adventures), but I still had no idea what to expect. I suppose it was better that way... I've learned that expectations can create disappointment. Anyway, I had that anxious feeling in my stomach. The one you get before a big game or a job interview... or meeting your new roomies... That's what week one was all about. We, all 31 of us students, started out by making false first impressions, rendering judgements, and basically sizing everyone up. It wasn't until week three that we were able to truly see each other's true colors, but that comes later. Week 1 went by fast though. No problems, no speaker, no classes. Mostly just discovering the rules of the base and getting to know the people we were about to spend the next 5 months with. I have built so many amazing, genuine - no, authentic, friendships these past weeks; it's hard to believe I've only known these people for a little over a month! But once again, I'm getting ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment