Friday, October 30, 2009

Week 3 Summary: Team Building

First off, the speaker for week 3, Tim Pratt, is one of the most amazing guys I've ever met. He just gets you jazzed about working together to serve the Lord!
Here are the only notes we took that week:

5 Dysfunctions of a Team:
- absense of trust
- fear of conflict
- lack of commitment
- avoidance of accountability
- inattention to results

> Team members who trust one another learn to be comfortable being open, even exposed to one another about their failures, weaknesses, even fears. >> Predicted on the simple and practical idea that people who aren't afraid to admit the truth about themselves (vulnerable) can be trusted.

Mostly, week 3 consisted of late night taco runs with Tim, team building excerises in the mornings, and lots of beach football!

Tim is the founder and CEO of an organization called Orphan Relief and Rescue. His main offices are in Liberia, but he has been slowly working his way around Africa. At the time I knew I felt a calling to do a ministry similar to his, but Tim challenged me to really sit down with God and just ask him what my next step in His plan for me is. He encouraged me to maybe join him and a team into Benin for a few months this next year, and to get a feel for the ministry. Definitely some kind of calling there...

3 comments:

  1. What a great teaching about dysfunction. This stuff is pretty heavy Mike. You know we are going to have to quiz you now when you come home to see how deep everything is sinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - is it true? Am I watching you grow before my very eyes?
    Do you have someone who you 'sharpen your iron' with regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha quiz away! Mark, I've been meeting with a rommie every morning for devotions before I do my personal devos. Josh Lomas is his name... Probably one of the most radical worshippers (with a guitar and a song) I've met! We already have plans to do some crazy ministry outreach after DTS! Possibly India...? Pray that God would direct us where he wants us.. or more so that we would hear his direction :)

    ReplyDelete