Monday, November 2, 2009

Day of the Dead

As you may well know, today is the Day of the Dead here in Mexico. Talk about spiritual warfare! Although most people who celebrate this three-day holiday do so innocently, there are some radicals who view this day as an opportunity to please the spirits of long-lost relatives and ghosts. Sacrifices. Human sacrifices. Off in the distance, I can see small dots of light throughout the mountians of Ensenada. While most of the fires are most likely small gatherings for those who wish to mourn family members who have died, there are a few fires that are not so innocent...

Nevertheless, we went about our as scheduled. This morning we had a new speak, Jack Hill, who isn't the most intrigueing man I've met, but I suppose he's here for a reason. His topic for the week: Relationships. What a broad subject. All of life is based on relationships. Consequently, he didn't stay on a single concept for long, and he moved so fast from subject to subject that I never really got the point of his lecture. Literally. He was just kinda babbling. In fact, the main thing I remember from the entire speach was when he was trying to explain split-brain research methods and theories... I know a thing or two about psychology, and I can tell you he had no idea what he was talking about. Actually, NO one had any idea what he was talking about. He listed off some random psychological facts (most of which were either misinterpreted, or just down right wrong), and then somehow managed to tie them to how we shouldn't follow pure intellect, but more so our 'spiritual hearts' (something about how our 'spiritual heart' is closely related to our right-brain because it deals with emotions and there meanings... Personally, I don't think we can relate our spiritual heart to anything physical or else we would be basing it off intellect which would completely defeat the purpose of seperating the two...).

I am perfectly content with follow God's plan for my life and assuming that it is the desire he would have placed in my 'spiritual heart' had I been able to define it. Why do we burden ourselves with such unimportant theories and nonsensical problems as these? We will never understand everything about God, so why can't we simply pursue an intimate relationship with Him with all of our heart and gain understanding and knowledge directly from He who is omniscient?! Instead we waste our time trying to define, explain, and identify the undefinable, unexplainable, and unidentifiable!
"Be still, and know that I am God" - Psalm 46:10
Enough said...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike - so good to see that you have started this blog. I have enjoyed catching up on your time there and love hearing about the things you are experiencing and learning. Thanks for sharing - keep it up! Thanks too for the pictures... they tell a story in and of themselves.. you've got a good eye with your camera!
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the sweet surrender. Nothing else matters in the end. At least that is what I keep reminding myself every......few seconds ideally but sadly really not enough!

    ReplyDelete